Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 8 - BTWG "Free day proves expensive!!!"

OK so it has been a while since I have reported anything and I've had a few ups and downs. Decided to make Friday my "FREE DAY" as it tends to be a socialising day for me and frankly this Friday I went a tad crazy - in fact enough to cover all my "FREE DAYS" for the next 12 weeks so I have decided that self control is not my strong point and will avoid having too many free days for the rest of the program.
After my Friday indiscretion, including a very late night, my punishment was having to get up early on Saturday morning for yoga. Having managed to get out of bed - feeling somewhat dehydrated - I had a great class which I'll be looking forward to from now on. Then home for a nap, followed by a round of golf and a great healthy dinner.
Sunday was more of the same but included my long run. I decided to run along the canal this week, instead of by the zoo and it was a lovely day although rather mixed weather.
I have just read Chris' blog on running with an iPod and he's sooooo right. I started using one a while ago then stopped and found it to be an immensely positive experience. It really helps me tune into what my body was trying to tell me and typically leads to pain free running.
However this Sunday I thought some music might be nice for my long run and it just about killed me. My sense of rhythm is pretty good so I often find myself running to the music which is a nightmare every time the song changes and I then change my pace. So I end up with no tempo, feel absolutely exhausted as I'm running too fast and suffer lots of aches and pains along the way. There's just no room for music and physical feedback in my runs - on this I confess to only being able to do two things at once: run and listen to me.
In the end I spent about half an hour stretching to loosen off all the tight muscles I'd developed and frankly I felt stiff the rest of the day!
Had a good work out this morning - well if it hadn't been for Dougie (#1 PUP), I would have stayed in bed. The pups have got used to a 6:00am walk and breakfast and today wasn't going to be an exception. I'm glad I did my work out though, felt a lot more virtuous all day - and also didn't have to worry about trying to fit it in this evening. Things seem to be getting a bit easier and I'm having to think less about things which saves time and effort.
Intervals tomorrow!!!
COUNTDOWN: 214 Days to OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.